Senior Chemical Engineer
Indefinite Contract based in Amsterdam, Netherlands
WMC is an Amsterdam-based commodity merchant, supply chain financing specialist and industrial asset development company. WMC aims to be a catalyst and enabler in the transition to a low carbon economy by providing creative and high-quality solutions. The Company was incorporated in 2016 originally to provide supply chain solutions in the nuclear energy industry. In 2020, WMC expanded into the battery materials industry focused on providing competitive, reliable, transparent and sustainable supplies of raw and refined lithium-ion battery materials. WMC has initiated the development of four chemical processing facility projects within Europe and internationally in support of the global energy transition to an efficient, stable and sustainable society.
The Senior Chemical Engineer, reporting to the Director of Asset Development, is a key part of the battery materials asset development team, and is responsible for the process design and commissioning of battery material chemical processing facilities in support of the EV battery industry in Europe and internationally.
The Senior Chemical Engineer is: (1) a technical expert in the design of industrial chemical processing facilities including leading an engineering consultant firm in the design of the chemical processing facilities. This includes supporting the battery materials project from conceptual design through to detailed engineering, commissioning and finally steady state production; and (2) a technical lead providing technical and operational-based support in the development of operating budgets and management systems required for safe and effective operation of the developed chemical processing facilities. The position will be primarily based in the WMC Amsterdam office. Travel will be required to the chemical processing facility sites within Europe and internationally on an as needed basis.
- Complete scoping studies and supporting test work for chemical refining of battery materials.
- Lead coordination with contracted engineering forms and provide technical oversight of the development of process flow diagrams, mass and energy balances, electrical load forecasts, general arrangement drawings and process control philosophy.
- Provide technical input in support of the development of environmental permitting applications.
- Engagement the contracted engineering firm and selected vendors and provide oversight on the procurement of major chemical processing equipment.
- Complete economic studies and evaluations (CAPEX and OPEX) of selected processing options and seeking options to maximizing processing facility margins.
- Provide technical input and support the development of waste management strategies that align with local environmental legislation, guidelines and regulations, including the application of best available technologies.
- Development of strategies and programmes to ensure operational readiness including support on commissioning plans and the development of standard operating procedures, process sampling programmes and metallurgical accounting systems for the facility.
- Participate in project and facility risk assessments and support the development of mitigative strategies.
- Develop training programmes for facility operators and provide support in the development of facility maintenance programmes.
- Ensure compliance with site and regulatory requirements, codes and standards.
- Assist WMC on due diligence exercises on an as needed basis.
- Support the battery materials team to identify strategic opportunities for expanding WMC’s chemical refining business in new energy materials.
- Perform any other tasks that fit with the Employee’s set of skills, as reasonable requested by the Employer, in support of WMC’s general business activities and development of new business activities.
Education and Qualifications
Requirements of the position:
- Minimum of a Bachelor of Chemical Engineering degree
- P.Eng or P.Eng eligible
- Minimum of ten years of relevant industrial experience including direct experience in the design and development of chemical processing facilities including vendor selection and procurement of major processing equipment.
- Self-starter with strong trouble shooting and analytical skills
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment while building strong relationships with a wide variety of personnel
- Proven rational decision-making skills
- Excellent oral and written command of English
- Clear background check
- Direct Project Management experience in the phased development of chemical processing facilities
- Knowledge and direct industrial engineering experience of chemical refineries for pCAM and CAM battery production facilities
- Knowledge of process safety, risk identification and hazard control
- Knowledge of operational reliability practices
- Knowledge of process control and process control instrumentation
- Knowledge of asset management strategies for chemical processing facilities
- Knowledge of project due diligence and experience in conducting due diligence on mineral resource properties and chemical processing facilities
- Knowledge of Swedish, French or Dutch
Please submit cover letter, resume and transcripts as soon as possible as interviews will be held on an ongoing basis as applications are received.
We thank all candidates for applying; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.